If you hire a Home Care Assistant or a Care-Aide directly to save money, the individual is really an employee. That exposes you to all expenses, liabilities, and risks of having an employee. Including but not limited to, the work hours you specify, the dates you specify, the directions of care you specify and the use of your home and equipment (e.g., dishwasher, washer & dryer, vacuum, kitchen, and household equipment to just name a few) make the individual legally your employee. Read below to understand the risks involved when looking to hire a home care assistant or care-aide either privately, or through an agency.
It Is an Important Decision to Make
When you’re deciding on how to care for your loved ones, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is who you will hire to assist with daily activities, hygiene, provide home support, personal care, administer medications, and more. Home Care Assistants or Care-Aides often become a significant part of daily life for a senior and often become a part of their family. That’s why you should have all the important information available before deciding whether to hire a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide through Loving Home Care Services, or to hire privately and compensate ‘under-the-table’.
Loving Home Care Services is an approved service provider of; Veteran Affairs Canada, WorkSafe BC, I.C.B.C., The Public Guardian and Trustee of BC, Vancouver Coastal Health, Lions Gate Hospital, Greater Vancouver Hospital, St. Pauls Hospital, and many private POA’s, trustees, and bank institutions.
Liability Differences for Private and Agency Care-Aides
One of the most significant differences between hiring privately versus hiring through an agency like Loving Home Care Services is the liability issues you may face. When you hire a private Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide without an agency, that individual becomes your employee, exposing you to all of the liabilities, risks, and expenses associated with having a full-time or part-time employee.
If you hire privately:
- You are liable for damages if the employee is injured on the job unless you have workers compensation insurance.
- You will have to withhold applicable taxes, CPP and E.I. from your employee’s income.
- You are responsible for submitting these deductions to Revenue Canada.
- You are responsible for issuing Records of Employment, and T4 Statements.
- You are responsible to register as an employer with B.C.’s Workplace Safety Insurance to ensure fee coverage.
- You are responsible to ensure that your employee is provided with protection with respect to hours of work, protected breaks, statutory holiday pay, vacation pay, personal emergency leave and other complex considerations under Employment Standards.
- You are responsible for ensuring your employee isn’t disturbed on their time-off, and that they are not working outside of their contracted hours of work.
- You are responsible to schedule shifts and to create a care plan for the employee to follow.
- You are responsible to replace the employee in the case they do not show up for the shift, quit with or without notice, complaints, sudden family emergencies, vacation, and more.
- Your insurance may not cover losses in the event that the employee takes valuables from your home.
- Your insurance may not compensate you if the employee provides poor care.
- Simply put, your household insurance is not enough.
Conversely, if you hire through Loving Home Care Services, we will take care of all of these issues and absolutely worry-free. Instead of being your employee, the Home Care Assitant or Care-Aide is an employee of our agency. We cover workers compensation insurance for you so a caregiver from our agency cannot hold you liable for any personal expenses incurred from injuries on the job. We also take care of withholding all applicable taxes from our employee’s paycheck, and we thoroughly pre-screen all of our applicants before the individual is hired and placed with a client. In the very rare event that something occurs, our premium $5 million dollar liability insurance will cover you. Our premium insurance also provides compensation to clients for injuries resulting from poor caregiving. We are extremely happy to tell you that we have never encountered this incident!
While hiring a privately can sometimes appear to be the cheaper and easier option, the extra expenses, uncertainty and hassle of having someone work as your employee often cancel out the potential savings. Hiring a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide through a trusted and highly reputable agency like Loving Home Care Services will help you avoid the hassle if anything was to go wrong, and our premium insurance will cover you financially.
Hire Reliable, Experienced Care-Aides
Loving Home Care Services has 25 years of experience providing in-home care in the North Shore and Greater Vancouver area. We pride ourselves on helping seniors continue to live comfortably in their own homes while providing the highest quality of home care in a safe, dignified and respectable manner.
Unlike with the unknowns of hiring a private Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide, you can trust that all of our staff are pre-screened, licensed, bonded and have passed thorough background checks. We help you customize the care to your desires and needs, and we ensure we will find a wonderful Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide who matches your lifestyle.
Learn more about our trusted In-Home Care Services, call us today at 604.926.8403
Take a closer look at our Level I, III and III Care Services for more.