If you hire a Home Care Assistant or a Care-Aide directly to save money, the individual is really an employee. That exposes you to all expenses, liabilities, and risks of having an employee. Including but not limited to, the work hours you specify, the dates you specify, the directions of care you specify and the use of your home and equipment (e.g., dishwasher, washer & dryer, vacuum, kitchen, and household equipment to just name a few) make the individual legally your employee. Read below to understand the risks involved in hiring a home care assistance or care-aide privately vs. agency.
It Is an Important Decision to Make
When you’re deciding on how to care for your loved ones, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is who you will hire to assist with daily activities, provide in-home support, personal care, or administer medications. Home Care Assistants or Care-Aides often become a significant part of daily life for a senior and become a part of their families. That’s why you should have all the important information available before deciding whether to hire a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide through Loving Home Care Services, or to hire privately and compensate illegally ‘under-the-table’.
Liability Differences for Private and Agency Care-Aides
One of the most significant differences between hiring privately versus hiring through an agency like Loving Home Care Services is the liability issues you may face. When you hire a private Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide without an agency, that Care-Aide becomes your employee, exposing you to all of the liabilities, risks, and expenses associated with having a full-time or part-time employee.
If you hire privately:
- You are liable for damages if they are injured on the job unless you have workers compensation insurance.
- You will have to withhold applicable taxes, CPP and E.I. from your employee’s income.
- You are responsible for submitting these deductions to Revenue Canada.
- You are responsible for issuing Records of Employment, and T4 Statements.
- You are responsible to register as an employer with B.C.’s Workplace Safety Insurance to ensure fee coverage.
- You are responsible to ensure that your employee is provided with protection with respect to hours of work, protected breaks, statutory holiday pay, vacation pay, personal emergency leave and other complex considerations under Employment Standards.
- You are responsible for ensuring your employee isn’t disturbed on their time-off, and that they are not working outside of their contracted hours of work.
- Your insurance may not cover losses in the event that a Care-Aide takes valuables from your home.
- Your insurance may not compensate you if your Care-Aide provides poor care.
- Simply put, your household insurance is not enough.
Conversely, if you hire through Loving Home Care Services, we will take care of all of these issues and absolutely worry-free. Instead of being your employee, the Care-Aide is an employee of our agency. We cover workers compensation insurance for you so a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide cannot hold you liable for any personal expenses incurred from injuries on the job. We also take care of withholding all applicable taxes from our employee’s paycheck, and we thoroughly pre-screen all of our before the individual is hired and placed with a client. In the very rare event that something occurs, our premium, $5 million dollar liability insurance will cover you. Our premium insurance also provides compensation to clients for injuries resulting from poor caregiving. We are extremely happy to tell you that we have never encountered this incident!
While hiring a privately can sometimes appear to be the cheaper and easier option, the extra expenses, uncertainty and hassle of having someone work as your employee often cancel out the potential savings. Hiring a Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide through a trusted and highly reputable agency like Loving Home Care Services will help you avoid the hassle if anything was to go wrong, and our premium insurance will cover you financially.
Hire Reliable, Experienced Care-Aides
Loving Home Care Services has 25 years of experience providing in-home care in the Greater Vancouver and North Shore area. We pride ourselves on helping seniors continue to live comfortably in their own homes while providing the highest quality of home care in a safe, dignified and respectable manner.
Unlike with the unknowns of hiring a private Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide, you can trust that all of our staff are pre-screened, licensed, bonded and have passed thorough background checks. We help you customize the care to your desires and needs, and we ensure we will find a wonderful Home Care Assistant or Care-Aide who matches your lifestyle.
Learn more about our trusted In-Home Care Services, call us today at 604.926.8403
Take a closer look at our Level I, III and III Care Services for more.